[OS X TeX] AMS-TeX

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Sat Sep 22 10:59:08 EDT 2007

I am assuming that you really do mean AMS-TeX (the AMS math extension
of plain TeX) and not AMSLaTeX. If that is so, then all you need to
do is:

1. Make sure that you are using plain TeX (check the edit window)
2. Choose the appropriate engine in the Typeset menu
3. At the beginning of the file put:
     \input amstex

Done.

%%

You can also create an 'engine' that does essentially the same thing.

1. Go to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/
2. Duplicate one of the files there, and rename it to something like
'amstex.engine'
3. Open the duplicate file in a text editor (e.g., BBEdit or
TextWrangler)
4. Delete everything and put this in the file:

     #!/bin/tcsh

     set path= ($path /usr/texbin /usr/local/bin);
     amstex -output-format=pdf "$1"

5. Save and close the file.

The next time you open TeXShop you will see 'amstex' the the left-
most dropdown window
in the text editor. Alternatively, at the very beginning of your TeX
file you can put
this:

     %!TEX TS-program = amstex

The TS-Program refers to the particular engine that you want to use
to typeset
your document. Notice the spaces on either side of the '='.

Stephen