[OS X TeX] LaTeXiT & Keynote: color management when printing

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Tue Sep 25 09:45:42 EDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 7:10 AM, William Adams wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Michael S. Hanson wrote:
>
>> 	Except for the equations, that is -- these (naturally) are still
>> white and thus rendered "invisible" in the PDFs of the slide
>> handouts that the students print prior to lecture.  I could go in
>> and change each and every equation manually from a white to a
>> black text color (thereby having to maintain two versions of each
>> lecture presentation:  the white-on-blue lecture slides and the
>> black-on-white handouts).  But I'm hoping for a better
>> alternative.  (The slide-to-equation ratio is slightly over 2, but
>> that still leaves 15 - 30 equations per lecture to modify by hand.)
>>
>> 	I suspect that it should be possible to use CoreImage and/or
>> Quartz filters to first "invert" the colors (if that is the right
>> term) so that white text -> black text, dark blue background ->
>> light-colored background, etc., then filter a second time to
>> create a greyscale version of this transformed color scheme.  All
>> via the print dialog, or maybe Automator.  Unfortunately, I have
>> not been able to find a way to accomplish this objective (and I
>> have neither skills in, nor access to, Photoshop or Illustrator,
>> etc.).
>
> I would think it would be much better to just create an AppleScript
> which goes through and changes the equations back/forth between the
> two colour schemes.

	Thanks, that sounds promising.  However, I don't have any experience
with AppleScript (yet), and so I unfortunately do not know how to go
about implementing this suggestion.  I attempted to record an
AppleScript from within Keynote, but got stymied right away because
the pasted graphic from LaTeXiT does not open in LaTeXiT where I can
change the color -- there is no "linkback" functionality with Keynote
4.0 (iWork '08) that I could find.  Perhaps I am going about this the
wrong way.  Any pointers to get me started would be greatly appreciated.

                                         -- Mike