[OS X TeX] With gwTeX, how to install Bera and Luximono Fonts

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Sep 28 12:04:14 EDT 2007

On  28 Sep, 2007, at 10:42, Alain Matthes wrote:

> Le 28 sept. 07 à 17:31, Axel E. Retif a écrit :

>>> updmap --help
>>> updmap --syncwithtrees
>>> updmap --listavailablemaps
>>> updmap --enable Map=bera.map
>>> updmap --enable Map=ul9.map
>>
>> But if he didn't enable ``Gerben Wierda's protection'' against the
>> new updmap behavior, he would end up with a web2c folder inside
>> his ~/Library/texmf tree.
>>

> Can you explain this protection please ?

When you use i-Installer you are presented with this message

"Do you want your TeX command line configuration to be backwards
compatible with pre-2004 versions? This is recommended because most
instructions for the use of TeX command line tools are not only
invalid for post-2004 TeX Live, but they also give unexpected and
unwanted results like administrator owned files in your home directory.
Only if you know why you need your personal settings (which this i-
Package will ignore if you run it again in the future), choose No."

In the past, you used `` sudo updmap --enable Map=<myfont>.map'', but
after 2004 with this command you ended up with a web2c folder inside
your HOME texmf directory with an updmap.cfg owned by root. For me,
not knowing how to handle a web2c directory in my HOME, it wrecked
havoc in my installation. And for others, too.

Gerben Wierda tries to protect us against this, but as a rule always use

sudo updmap-sys ...

and, as I said, only if you created intentionally the web2c folder
inside your HOME tree, better delete it and start over with

sudo updmap-sys --syncwithtrees
sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=bera.map
sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=ul9.map

Best,