[OS X TeX] (OT) Keynote/Beamer (was LaTeXiT & Keynote)

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Fri Sep 28 14:32:32 EDT 2007

On Sep 28, 2007, at 4:36 AM, Jérome Laurens wrote:

> Le 27 sept. 07 à 14:55, Themis Matsoukas a écrit :
>
>> On a side issue, as much as I like Keynote for the sleek looks, it
>> generates enormous files. I recently gave two talks, one in
>> Keynote, one in beamer. The Keynote file size was 5.2 MB, the
>> beamer file only 0.7 MB. Granted, these were two different
>> subjects but still of similar quantity in math and graphics. I
>> find it hard to justify the gargantuanism of Keynote.
>
> What was the size of the pdf file produced with beamer?

I don't have the exact same talk in both Keynote and beamer but here
is another test:

A beamer file of mine has 53 (if you count transitions as separate
slides) and takes up 785 KB. I then made a keynote version of the
first 10 pages using the Modern Portfolio theme (nothing fancy, white
background with black/gray type). The 10-page keynote is 896 KB,
already bigger than that the 50-page beamer.

Keynote files are in fact folders which you can open using "Show
Package Contents". There you find that Keynote saves each graphic as
a separate file and the size of the graphic depends on how it was
imported into keynote.

   - graphics dropped into keynote by select/copy/paste from the pdf
window in TexShop tend to be disproportionately large, ~100 KB for a
fairly small equation.

   -pdf graphics originally saved in Illustrator CS3 as eps (~300
KB), converted into pdf by TS (~10 kB) and imported into keynote
using shift-command-V maintain their small size (~10 KB).

Themis