[OS X TeX] vertical space in enumeration

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Apr 1 18:25:07 EDT 2008

Le 1 avr. 08 à 22:42, Alan Munn a écrit :

> At 10:22 PM +0200 4/1/08, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Chris Goedde wrote:
>>> These are controlled by \topsep, \parsep, and \itemsep, so you can
>>> do something like:
>>> \setlength{\parsep}{0pt}
>>> \setlength{\topsep}{0pt}
>>> \setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}
>>> There's a nice figure in The LaTeX Companion that shows all this
>>> (Figure 3.5 in my old edition).
>> Yes, I see it too, in the same old edition. But, irritatingly, the
>> above commands have no effect for some reason.
> This is because they are automatically set at the beginning of each
> list, and so adjusting them globally doesn't help.

This isn't fully true. When processing \begin{document}, LaTeX
executes a series a commands including \@listi, which sets parameters
for first-level lists (lists within normal text), \@listii which sets
parameters for second-level lists (lists within lists), and so forth
up to \@listvi.

You can adjust this for example by putting in a document's preamble
redefinitions like

      \setlength{\topsep} {0pt}
      \setlength{\parsep} {\parskip}
      \setlength{\topsep} {0pt}
      \setlength{\parsep} {\parskip}

Beware, though, that this won't affect text set in \small size or
\footnotesize (because \small redefines \@listi and so does

Bruno Voisin