[OS X TeX] vertical space in enumeration

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Apr 2 08:14:55 EDT 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 9:17 PM, Richard Seguin wrote:
> This is what I've been using.
>
> Insert this in your \newcommand area:
>
> \newskip\csep
> \newskip\csepb
> \csep=-1.0\medskipamount
> \csepb=-0.6\medskipamount
> \newcommand{\Enumerate}{\par\partopsep=\csep\begin{enumerate}[\quad\;
> \upshape (a)]\itemsep=\csepb}
>
> Then in the document body, it will read:
>
> \Enumerate
> \item ...
> \item ...
> \item ...
> \end{enumerate}
>
> You'll have to experiment with the values of \csep and \csepb to get
> spacing that you desire. This is close to the AMS \enumerate
> environment. The \quad\; gives me the indentation that I like.
>
> Richard Séguin
>

> On Apr 1, 2008, at 12:03 PM, Roussanka Loukanova wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please, accept my kind apologies for off the list question, hoping
>> someone could answer:
>>
>> How may I decrease the vertical space between the items in an
>> enumeration list environment, and before and after the list?
>>
>> Roussanka

Howdy,

Or... use the paralist package and something lke

\usepackage{paralist}
\setlength{\pltopsep}{2pt plus 0pt minus 1pt}
\addtolength{\pltopsep}{\parsep}
\setlength{\plpartopsep}{2pt plus 0pt minus 1pt}
\setlength{\plitemsep}{2pt plus 0pt minus 1pt}
\setlength{\plparsep}{\parsep}

and do a global Find and Replace of enumerate with compactenum and
itemize with compactitem; of course don't replace those words in the
text :-).

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)