[OS X TeX] Automatic labeling for references

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 21:49:37 EDT 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 9:31 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2008, at 8:28 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> 1) The package{titleref} lets me say, for instance, "We already
>> saw in 4.5 Local Graphs that …" but only once I have put a label
>> after \section{Local Graphs}.
>>
>> Is there a way to generate these labels automatically?
>>
>> For instance, is there a way to have a \newcommand{\CHAPTER} and
>> a  \newcommand{\SECTION} in such a way that, for instance,
>> \SECTION writes, for instance, \section{ }\label{392} where 392
>> was automatically filled in given that there already were 391 labels?
>>
>> 2) Same question for labeling \theorem
>>
>> Hopeful regards.
>> --schremmer
>

> Howdy,
>
> But then you've still got to get the \ref commands right so you
> need to know what the labels are. Or do I have this wrong?

I assume you mean that before I can write "We already saw in \titleref
{314} that …" in the source, I have to know that 314 is the label of
the section I want to reference. Well, I could look up the section in
the toc and then the label number at the given page number. In fact,
why coulnd't the label be the chapter number followed by some symbol
and then by the section number? Then I would just have to look up the
toc!

The reason I would like this to be automatic is that last year I gave
up on references altogether because I got completely confused even
though someone on this list had written a macro that would generate
random label numbers. This way, it would be just a matter of looking
up an already existing label.

Hopeful regards
--schremmer