[OS X TeX] Setting up dissertation text

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen toke_knudsen at brown.edu
Tue Apr 8 10:34:24 EDT 2008

Hi all,

This does not relate to TeX on Mac specifically, but I am hoping that
someone might be able to offer me a hint.

I am handing in my dissertation soon, and the following rules have to
be followed:

------------------
Standard typefaces set to print at 10-, 11-, or 12-point font are
acceptable. All text should be double-spaced, except for block
quotations, captions, long headings, and footnotes. All these should be
single-spaced with a blank line between items.

[snip]

The following margins should be observed: the margin on the left (the
binding side) should be 1.5 inches wide. The top, bottom and right-hand
margins should be 1 inch wide. Any manuscript with margins which do not
meet these guidelines will be returned to the candidate for correction.

[snip]

Each page, including blank ones, must have a number. The number should
not appear on the title page or the copyright page but, these pages are
assigned numbers and are included in the pagination. Preliminary pages
are numbered with lower case roman numerals, centered at the foot of
the page, three-fourths of an inch from the bottom edge. The title page
counts as page i but the number does not appear on the page. The
remainder of the dissertation is numbered with Arabic numerals
beginning with 1.

On pages with major headings (e.g., the first page of a chapter), the
numbers should be centered at the bottom as on the preliminary pages.
On all other pages, they should be placed flush with the margin at the
top right corner of the page, three-fourths of an inch below the top
edge.
------------------

I am using LaTeX.

I have difficulties with how to make the text double-spaced while
having block quotations, captions, and footnotes single-spaced.  Is
there an easy way to do that?

For the margins, I have the following in my preamble:

\oddsidemargin	0.5in
\evensidemargin	0.0in
\textwidth			6.0in
\headheight		0.0in
\topmargin		-0.5in
\textheight			9.0in

But this works funnily sometimes, and there may be a better way to do
it.

Also, does anyone have an idea about how to go about the page numbering
as per the above directions?

As I said, I know that this does not relate directly to Mac, but if
anyone have any suggestions, I would appreciate it greatly.

Many thanks!

Sincerely,
Toke