[OS X TeX] Automatic labeling for references

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 18:11:56 EDT 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 6:45 AM, Matthew Leingang wrote:
> If you look inside the aux file for your book, you'll notice it
> includes the aux files for your chapters.

>   Inside the a chapter's aux file, you might find statements like
> \@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {chapter}{\numberline {6}The Axioms
> of Probability}{6-1}{chapter.6}}

Here is the "book" aux file:

	\relax \let\TR at TitleReference\@firstoftwo
	\@writefile{toc}{\contentsline {part}{I\hspace  {1em}Power Functions}

Here is, for instance, the aux file for Chapter 3 which is file 363:

> This writes TOC information to the .toc file regardless of whether
> the file is included or not.

Here is, for instance, the first few lines of the toc file
	\contentsline {chapter}{\numberline {1}Introduction}{1}
	\contentsline {section}{\numberline {1.1}Relations}{2}
	\contentsline {section}{\numberline {1.8}The Fundamental Problem.}{20}
	\contentsline {chapter}{\numberline {2}Graphic Analysis}{25}
	\contentsline {section}{\numberline {2.1}Local Graphs of a Function}
	\contentsline {section}{\numberline {2.9}Extremum Inputs}{48}
	\contentsline {chapter}{\numberline {3}From I-O Rule To Global Graph}
	\contentsline {section}{\numberline {3.1}Extrapolation}{53}

Now, in order to use

in order to avoid \newcounter{labb} giving different references when
typesetting the "chapter" rootfile or the "book" rootfile, I would
need only place in each "chapter" rootfile something like
\addtocounter{labb}{total number of sections before the current
chapter} just before the \include.

For instance, I would have to have at the beginning of the chapter 3

Now when typesetting just the "chapter" rootfile, labb will start
with 18 just as it would when typesetting the "book" file.

While I could do that by hand—I am already doing it for \chapter and
for \page—what I would like is a counter totallabb such that I would
just have

>   I was saying if you wanted to automatically increment your "total
> number of labels" command you could alter that macro to do that.

I agree but how do I do that?

> An alternative would be to augment the commands in the TOC file
> such as
> \contentsline {chapter}{\numberline {6}The Axioms of Probability}
> {6-1}{chapter.6}

  What does "{6-1}{chapter.6}" do? (Since I don't know how to get it
I couldn't try it.)

> So why aren't you using includeonly?

When I started, I did use includeonly but , the way I do it, I just
have to click Typeset on the "chapter" rootfile or the "book"
rootfile to get what I want.