[OS X TeX] Avoiding page breaks

Peter Vamos P.Vamos at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 08:06:07 EDT 2008

At 14:31 -0400 16/4/08, Toke Lindegaard Knudsen wrote:

>Actually, I prefer this solution, as the minipage-environment
>solution tended to leave some pages with a lot of empty space in the
>bottom.

Well, it shouldn't. it just produces a `large symbol'. So don't put
it in a center environment but use \centering, use the inner
alignment options and don't end the content with \\ \mbox{} (not
clear what the latter does here) but put this, if desired, outside.
The \parbox command is similar to the minipage environment.

  Use whatever works for you; the reason I am posting on this again is
that Murphy's law tell us that bad pagebreaks will occur especially
if you have large unbreakable boxes. LaTeX has a way to deal with
this _at the very last stage_ of your production (when you do not
want to change your text anymore) via the \enlargethispage{size}
command (with or without an asterisk). This allows you to gain or
lose lines on pages preceding the bad break. If you can get hold of
The LaTeX Companion 2nd ed, see page 234 and, if you are really into
this and want to compare the different methods (eg Chris' and
minipage), read Appendix B.3.2

Good luck with your dissertation

Peter