[OS X TeX] LaTeX2html Basics?

Matthew Leingang leingang at math.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 23 12:26:41 EDT 2008

Dear Richard,

These instructions are for compiling hevea on your machine and
installing it afterwards.  You may not have to do this yourself.

The fink application <http://www.finkproject.org/> helps you maintain
a consistent set of unix packages and programs on your mac.  If you
want to use hevea, it might be a good idea to install fink.  That IS
as simple as "download this installer and double-click on it".  Then
you can open a Terminal window and type

$ sudo fink install hevea

after which fink will install hevea as well as whatever other
libraries it needs to make hevea work.

I'm curious why you decided to go with hevea over tex4ht.  You may
already have that on your computer, especially if you installed from
the TeX-live CD.  Visit this URL in a browser:

file:///usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/doc/generic/tex4ht/index.html

That actually points to a file location on your computer, so if you
get something, you have tex4ht already.

If you use TeXShop to process your documents, you can put the file

	/Applications/TeXShop.app/Contents/Resources/TeXShop/Engines/
Inactive/TeX4ht

into

	/Users/<you>/Library/TeXShop/Engines

and you'll be able to select TeX4ht as your compiling method.

I don't know about hevea, but IMO tex4ht is the "right" way to do TeX
-> HTML conversion.  Rather than re-parse the file using regular
expressions, it uses TeX's parser which expands the macros as TeX
knows how.  That's what I've used when I needed to do this task.

I don't particularly like tex4ht's "interface"--one might need to
enter three or four arguments with quotes and cryptic codes, but you
may not have to deal with that if you just use the TeXShop engine.

--
Matthew Leingang
Preceptor in Mathematics

http://www.math.harvard.edu/~leingang/vCard.vcf