[OS X TeX] Configuring man pages

David Watson dewatson at me.com
Mon Aug 4 18:13:03 EDT 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 3:59 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm moving machines, so I'm doing my once-every-five-years reinstall
> of the lucida fonts. I'm trying to use updmap, but my system can't
> find the man page. Using find, I see that it lives in /usr/local/
> texlive/2007/texmf/doc/man/man1. Ugh. Anyway, what's the easiest,
> most future-proof way to be able to view this man page (and all the
> others in that tree) from the terminal?
>
> Chris

If you are using the bash shell, you should put something like the
following into your ~/.bash_profile and make sure to port this file to
your new setups.

# include tex man path
MANPATH=/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH
export MANPATH
#end of modifications

Of course, you would need to change this to 2008... etc whenever you
update your texlive. There has to be a better way, perhaps some sort
of symbolic link that gets updated whenever TeXLive is installed, but
that's over my head.