[OS X TeX] Configuring man pages

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 10:44:28 EDT 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 2:54 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 5 août 08 à 00:21, Richard Koch a écrit :
>
>> On Aug 4, 2008, at 3:13 PM, David Watson wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> MacTeX configures MANPATH as part of the installation, and uses the
>> Laurens-Wierda TeX Distribution structure so the correct man pages
>> will be shown depending on your active distribution. The method of
>> configuring MANPATH changed in Leopard, but this will work when TeX
>> Live 2008, and thus MacTeX-2008, is released.
>
> In other words, until MacTeX-2008 is released, you can solve your
> problem by applying the Leopard TeX fix available from <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/
> >.
>
> See the explanations at <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/LeopardTeXFix.rtf
> >, in particular:

Looks like I spoke to soon. I ran the Leopard TeX fix and rebooted,
but I still can't access the man pages from the terminal. If I look
in /etc/manpaths.d and /etc/paths.d, I see:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  52 Aug  5 09:13 TeX
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  13 Sep 23  2007 X11

So the fix seems to have installed the right parts. (BTW, the original
permissions on the TeX file were -rwxr-xr-x, I changed them to match
the X11 file permissions. It didn't work with either the original or
the new permissions.) If I run manpath from the terminal, the output is:

/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11/man

Any suggestions on fixing/troubleshooting this is appreciated. BTW, I
can't run latex from the terminal either (not that I ever do that).

Chris