[OS X TeX] How to prevent word hyphenation or force line break in table of contents

scheissenochmal2003 at yahoo.de scheissenochmal2003 at yahoo.de
Sat Aug 30 16:16:14 EDT 2008

For a quick and dirty fix, you can use

\section[The Lotka-Volterra Theory for the Growth of Two \\ Conflicting
Populations]{The Lotka-Volterra Theory for the Growth of Two Conflicting
Populations}

The optional argument in [] is used for TOC generation.

You can achieve the same by using \section*{yoursection} and
\addtocontentsline{toc}{section}{yoursection-as-in-toc}, but probably
you will need to increase the section counter as well.

Best,