[OS X TeX] Grammar checker [OT]

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 2 12:47:42 EST 2008

I can tell you about the "Chicago Manual of Style". It's quite a story.

The University of Chicago used to have a woman, Kate Turabian IIRC,
in charge of receiving Ph.D. dissertations. She was an unbelievable
stickler for thesis style, to the point that grad students beginning
on their thesis would be told to visit her office so that they could
pick up from her a list of approved typists. Failure to follow the
rules EXACTLY would result in the thesis being rejected, never mind
its content. (She would measure the margins with a very fine ruler.
If you were off by as much as a 32nd of an inch, you would have to
have it retyped!) And God help you if you got the citation style wrong.

Anyway, at some point Dr. Turabian just wrote the book on style. And,
presto, was born the Chicago Manual of Style.

Non-Americans may want to know about a famous "little book" by E. B.
White and Robert Strunk called "A Manual of Style", often referred to
as "Strunk and White". This is now very old fashioned but still worth
a look.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory School