[OS X TeX] Strange Behavior from tlmgr

Richard L. Aurbach rick at aurbach.com
Tue Dec 2 16:19:27 EST 2008

I installed MacTeX from the 2008 TeX Collection DVD and decided to
attempt to check for updates (presumably those updates which occurred
after the DVD was created).

I installed the Tk-804.028 package and did the following:

sudo tlmgr paper letter
sudo tlmgr location http://mirror.ctan.or/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
sudo tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra

all of which seemed to work fine. Then (as suggested on the
http://tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html page), I did

sudo tlmgr update --all

It appears that tlmgr is attempting to update EVERYTHING. It's been
running for two days now and still hasn't finished.

Three questions:

(1) Why is it doing this? I would have thought that only a few
packages would actually need to be updated.
(2) Did I do something wrong?
(3) Should I just let this thing finish or should I abort it prior to
completion.

Cheers,

Rick Aurbach