[OS X TeX] Getting started with tlmgr

Gary L. Gray glgray at me.com
Thu Dec 4 22:48:23 EST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 7:54 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> As part of TeX Live 2008 (and therefore MacTeX 2008) there is a CLI
> program called tlmgr which can be used to update the TeX
> distribution. Unfortunately the first version of tlmgr, as supplied
> in the present MacTeX 2008, has some bugs and needs to be updated
> before using it to update the distribution.
>
> Attached is a short document to get you started with tlmgr as
> supplied in MacTeX 2008 and BasicTeX 2008. It gives instructions for
> setting up and updating tlmgr and then gives a bit of information on
> the simplest way to get all available updates to the distribution.
> There is more information on use found in a document that came with
> MacTeX 2008 in /Applications/TeX/Utilities/.
>
> <TlmgrMacTeX.pdf>

Thanks Herb. When I ran the first command:

sudo tlmgr option location http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008

I got:

sudo: tlmgr: command not found

which is very odd since I have messed with the command before, though
it has been some weeks. I never did tell it to install anything, but
it did exist.

-- Gary