[OS X TeX] TeXshop quirk resolved

Lantz Susan lantzs at trine.edu
Wed Dec 10 10:37:43 EST 2008

Alex wrote:
>> what is the program that is called when you double-click on the tex
files? Usually what you would do is to right-click on one of your tex
files and open "get info". In the window that then opens you can choose
the default program for the file. Select TeXShop and then click on
"change all" to set all tex files to open with TeXShop by default.
That should bring the TeXshop icon back, I think. <<

TeXshop was the program called when I double-clicked on the files. ``Get
info'' lists TeXshop as the default programs for the files. Changing the
default program from TeXshop to Textures, then back to TeXshop resulted
in a TeXshop icon for that particular file. But when I clicked on
``change all'' to restore the icon to all TeXshop files, the icon of the
just-changed file reverted to blank white.

Herb S. wrote:
>> More likely that the Launch Services database needs to be rebuilt. An

easy way to do that is to get the version of Onyx for you OS (Tiger,
in your case) and have it rebuild that database. This is especially
true if applications are listed multiple times in the Open With...
Contextual Menu item when you Right(Ctl)-click on a file. <<

I downloaded Onyx last night, told it to do its thing, and my TeXshop
icon miraculously (or so it seemed to me) reappeared.

Thank you all for your help.

Susan Lantz

Susan A. Lantz, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Trine University
Angola, IN 46703