[OS X TeX] [tlmgr] - what does this mean?

Richard L. Aurbach rick at aurbach.com
Wed Dec 10 15:39:26 EST 2008

I am continuing to be confused about tlmgr.

I followed the directions from Herb Schulz' latest readme file -- used
update-tlmgr-latest.sh (dated 02-Dec), which appears to have succeeded.

So the next thing is to see what needs to be updated:

[Dogberry:~/Downloads] rlaurb% tlmgr update --list
tlmgr: installation location http://mirror.ctag.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
unusable location http://mirror.ctag.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
, could not load any packages
Cannot load TeX Live database from http://mirror.ctag.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
  at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 2110.
[Dogberry:~/Downloads] rlaurb%

Now what? Is this expected behavior? If not, is the problem likely to
be on the server side or with my installation of TexLive?

Any ideas or clues or whatever would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rick Aurbach, Ph.D.
President and Chief Engineer
Aurbach & Associates, Inc.
8233 Tulane Avenue, Suite B
St. Louis, MO 63132

www:     http://www.aurbach.com/
eMail:    support at aurbach.com [business]
                rick at aurbach.com [personal]
Fax:        314/678-0869
Phone:   800/774-7239
                 314/726-1321

"If it ain't broke and you haven't fixed it recently,  it probably
needs to be rewritten."  - Richard Aurbach (1948- )
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it." - Donald Knuth, computer scientist (1938- )
"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or
acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead." - Gelett
Burgess (1866-1951)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how
smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." -
Richard Feynman (1918-1988)
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts
agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer
professionals. We cause accidents." - Nathaniel Borenstein (1957-)