[OS X TeX] Euro symbol

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Dec 11 15:33:05 EST 2008

On Dec 11, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Friedrich Vosberg wrote:

> Morning.
>
> On 10.12.2008, at 22.14, Christoph Hoh wrote:
>
>> \usepackage[right]{eurosym}
>>
>> Then type something like
>>
>> "I have spent \EUR{100} two days ago."
>
> I want to type € (ALT+E), i.e. tapping two keys simultaneously, but
> not \EUR{}. This are first three keys simultaneously, then one key
> holded and three keys and for the braces holding another key and tap
> two more keys. This is not efficient.
>
> Kind regards, Friedrich

Howdy,

If you don't need lots of nicely matching maths (at this time) the
easiest way to go is to use UTF-8 encoding and go straight to xelatex.

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode,xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont[Numbers=Lining,Scale=1.05]{Hoefler Text}

\begin{document}
Here is a line worth 100\,€!
\end{document}

You must be sure that the font you choose has the euro symbol but I
think most otf fonts do nowadays.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)