[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 10:57:35 EST 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 10:20 AM, David Derbes wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I do not know unix as well as I would like. But I can make a couple
> of suggestions.
>
> First, David Pogue's books on Mac OS X are very useful and
> typically contain at least one chapter on the Terminal, unix, and
> such like. Pogue is really very good for people who are intelligent
> but do not know a great deal about computer operating systems.
>
> Next, I have always liked Harley Hahn's The Student's Guide to
> Unix. I don't know if it is still in print but maybe you can find a
> copy second hand at abebooks, or ask your friendly librarian to
> purchase it for the library.
>
> Finally, there may well be a really good guide to Unix for the Mac
> from O'Reilly or on-line.

Forget about my librarian, she has no money and is even threatened by
budget cuts of losing her job.

However, since I am not under any such threat, I am more than willing
to buy such a book. I just haven't had a chance to do it yet. (Yeah,
sure). But, for some reason, I am reluctant to buy a book just for
one chapter. On the other hand, Hahn's book looks good but do you
know if it's Unix for OS X?

I should also say that the book issue already came up a while ago but
I don't have the time right now to look up the archives. I will try
to sometimes over the weekend as there were (other?) recommendations.

And I will check O'Reilly. Should have done so a long time ago. And
Googled too.

Best regards
--schremmer