[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Sat Dec 13 11:21:15 EST 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 9:57 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2008, at 10:20 AM, David Derbes wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I do not know unix as well as I would like. But I can make a couple
>> of suggestions.
>>
>> First, David Pogue's books on Mac OS X are very useful and
>> typically contain at least one chapter on the Terminal, unix, and
>> such like. Pogue is really very good for people who are intelligent
>> but do not know a great deal about computer operating systems.
>>
>> Next, I have always liked Harley Hahn's The Student's Guide to
>> Unix. I don't know if it is still in print but maybe you can find a
>> copy second hand at abebooks, or ask your friendly librarian to
>> purchase it for the library.
>>
>> Finally, there may well be a really good guide to Unix for the Mac
>> from O'Reilly or on-line.
>
> Forget about my librarian, she has no money and is even threatened
> by budget cuts of losing her job.
>
> However, since I am not under any such threat, I am more than
> willing to buy such a book. I just haven't had a chance to do it
> yet. (Yeah, sure). But, for some reason, I am reluctant to buy a
> book just for one chapter. On the other hand, Hahn's book looks good
> but do you know if it's Unix for OS X?

It's Unix. Nothing about Mac OS X that I know about. The version I
know best is from 1993, and so absent time travel cannot include
anything about Mac OS X. There is a way more expensive recent version
that might include something, but I'd buy a cheap copy from abebooks
(just bought one to make up for the one a friend stole, and yes, he's
still a friend) for well under ten USD.

In all things Unix, I first look on the web and then try O'Reilly.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools