[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Sat Dec 13 14:07:10 EST 2008

On Sat 13th Dec, 2008 at 10:57, Alain Schremmer seems to have written:

> On Dec 13, 2008, at 10:20 AM, David Derbes wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I do not know unix as well as I would like. But I can make a couple of
>> suggestions.
>>
>> First, David Pogue's books on Mac OS X are very useful and typically
>> contain at least one chapter on the Terminal, unix, and such like. Pogue is
>> really very good for people who are intelligent but do not know a great
>> deal about computer operating systems.
>>
>> Next, I have always liked Harley Hahn's The Student's Guide to Unix. I
>> don't know if it is still in print but maybe you can find a copy second
>> hand at abebooks, or ask your friendly librarian to purchase it for the
>> library.
>>
>> Finally, there may well be a really good guide to Unix for the Mac from
>> O'Reilly or on-line.
>
> Forget about my librarian, she has no money and is even threatened by budget
> cuts of losing her job.
>
> However, since I am not under any such threat, I am more than willing to buy
> such a book. I just haven't had a chance to do it yet. (Yeah, sure). But, for
> some reason, I am reluctant to buy a book just for one chapter. On the other
> hand, Hahn's book looks good but do you know if it's Unix for OS X?
>
> I should also say that the book issue already came up a while ago but I don't
> have the time right now to look up the archives. I will try to sometimes over
> the weekend as there were (other?) recommendations.

There is a nice book from O'Reilly aimed at Unix newbies on OS X
specifically called something like 'Learning Unix for OS X'. I forget
the exact title but it is fairly obvious if you look through their
offerings. I used it and would definitely recommend it to beginners.
They have some good books on this stuff for more advanced users too
which I like but I definitely wouldn't suggest starting with those (and
I'm glad I didn't start with them :).

- cfr