[OS X TeX] Lost in Mac space

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Sat Dec 13 14:32:52 EST 2008

On Sat 13th Dec, 2008 at 14:12, Alain Schremmer seems to have written:

> On Dec 13, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

>>> Whenever I think of fiddling with the terminal—after all that is the Mac
>>> way, the thing that brings me to a halt is the fear that it is easy
>>> inadvertently to wipe out one's disk or to create similar havoc. So, it is
>>> easy to procrastinate and/or turn to the list. Which it is in any case.
>>>

>> Unlikely unless you enter your administrator password to execute the
>> command.
>
> For real?
>
>> Further, if you "back up now" using Time machine before doing anything, you
>> can always rewind to that spot.
>>
>> The worst you can do, without entering a password at the command line, is
>> wipe out your personal directory. However, if you use Time Machine, that is
>> easily restored.
>
> Yes, but I am still on Tiger and plan on staying so until the next feline
> comes around: I already got into trouble with TeXLive 2008 (the "openout_any
> =" thing) but thanks to the TeX Distribution switcher, just went back to
> gwTeX and normality.

But you back up, right? Backups existed long before Leopard. Indeed,
even if I was on Leopard - which I'm not - I would not trust solely to
TM backups given what I've read of others' experiences with it. I use
Carbon Copy Cloner although there are other options and CCC does crash
on me from time to time. Something where you can automate backup is
crucial I think. All you need is an external drive with (for PPC and
preferably for intel,  too) a firewire port.

- cfr