[OS X TeX] problems with bibliography

Laura Bradbury ldbradbury at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 22:26:46 EST 2008

Hi,

I am new to LaTeX and I am trying to create a reference using BibTeX and
TexShop.  I am trying to use the IEEE format for this and I have downloaded
the files from the IEEE website and copied them to
~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib and ~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst.  I created a file
called reference.bib that contains references in what I believe to be the
correct format.

I then tried to use the commands

\bibliographystyle{IEEEtran}
\bibliography{IEEEabrv,reference}

just before the command
\end{document}

This failed to produce a bibliography when I hit typeset.

I then tried with the commands

\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{reference}

This also failed to produce a bibliography.

The rest of the article is generate, there is just no bibliography and the
cite command doesn't do anything.

I am sure I must be missing a step, and any help to correct this would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Laura