[OS X TeX] bibtex8

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Tue Dec 16 15:21:19 EST 2008

G.H. Szylowsky PhD schrieb:
> I noticed that biblatex recommends that we use bibtex8.
>
> Do we get this automatically with TL?

Yes. Try it in your terminal.

> When I bibtex in TeXShop, do I use bibtex8?

AFAICS, you can only switch between bibtex and jbibtex in the TeX Shop
options at "misc." options (German version)? No way to call bibtex8 in
TeX Shop?

Try Emacs with AUCTeX instead.

See http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/bibtex8bit.html

| Enhanced by conversion to "big" (32-bit) capacity, addition of
| run-time selectable capacity and 8-bit support extensions. National
| character set and sorting order are controlled by an external
| configuration file.

Bibtex8 already was recommended for using jurabib and for large bib
files in general, although I never needed it. IIRC you could even use
German umlauts with MiKTeX's version of bibtex.

Jürgen.