[OS X TeX] BibLaTeX and archival (a la jurabib)

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Tue Dec 16 17:48:26 EST 2008

On 08.06.2008, at 21:08, Rolf Schmolling wrote:

> Hello knowledgeable Ones,
>
> has anybody tried to achieve sth. like the somehwat basic "archival"-
> implementation in jurabib via BibLaTeX? I am a German historian
> working on my phd-Thesis (Modern history: "Slave Labor for Siemens")
> and consider changing over from jurabib to BibLaTeX.
>
> However, this would mean working over (changing a lot in) my bib-
> file (I use BibDesk) and create a new style for the bibliography to
> get the output along the lines of my field. For that special entry
> type (unpublished files in archives) it would need to show in my
> bibliography
> 1) the archive (name)
> 2) subarchive if applicable
> 3) file group (first part of signature/call-number)
> 4) signature (further parts of the call-number)
>
> I'd need to group files cited according to archive, subarchive and
> file group with the option to change the depth (e.g. show only
> archive/subarchive, file group) keeping in a separate bibliography
> (unpublished files) along multibib/jurabib. i already know that this
> last part is not very difficult with BibLaTeX.

Have you looked at Domonik Waßenhoven's style for the "Historische
Zeitschrift" http://biblatex.dominik-wassenhoven.de/historische-zeitschrift.shtml
  ? I don't know if they fill your need, but they're already in the
right area.

> At the same time I'd like to be able to make sure that I get a full/
> long citation the first time I cite a file in the text and a shorter
> version of that title at later times. This unfortunately is not
> working with jurabib easily (ion comparison to the other file-
> types), one has to address a shorttitle-field manually for
> consecutive entrys.

This can be done easily in biblatex. The command \ifciteseen checks
whether an entry has already been cited in the document (needs the
option citetracker). Many of the styles that come with biblatex
support this, and if you don't find something that fits you, you can
easily adapt a style. Just add an \citetracker test and define both
cases.

> Any ideas? I have not been able to find a BibLaTeX-style I could use
> a s a starting point though I wary that effort.

As someone who made the switch from jurabib to biblatex I can only
recommend it. If you're moderately firm in LaTeX, you wont have
problems with biblatex because you can control everything and the
package is really superbly designed.

simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„Goethen getroffen. Beeindruckt.“ Unbekannt