[OS X TeX] Definitive font guide, please?

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 23 13:21:22 EST 2008

On 23-12-2008, at 18:22, David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., CFM wrote:

> I spent a few hours last weekend trying to work out how to use fonts
> other than the Computer Modern family in LaTeX. I found nothing
> definitive in the archives. Google wasn't much help either. I think
> it's time I learned something about using some of the other font
> families available to us.
>
> I tried the usual suspects, such as
>
> \usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
>
> and several variations on that theme. No joy.
>
> So, would someone point me to a definitive resource that a literate
> LaTeX user can understand? I'm not a complete n00b, but this is an
> area I haven't explored.

A selection of what I tend to use besides lmodern

Palatino+Mathpazo
==============

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{palatino}
\usepackage[scaled=0.90]{helvet}
\usepackage{mathpazo}
\usepackage{textcomp}

Fourier
==============

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[scaled=0.90]{helvet}
\usepackage{fourier}
\usepackage{textcomp}

Palatino+Euler
===============

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{palatino}
\usepackage[scaled=0.90]{helvet}
\usepackage{eulervm}
\usepackage{textcomp}

Mathdesign (Utopia)

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[scaled=0.90]{helvet}
\usepackage[utopia]{mathdesign}%%{fourier}
\usepackage{textcomp}

(issue  texdoc mathdesign in a Terminal window to get some
documentation)

I also tend to use lmtt for the typewriter font (Courier doesn't look
nice).

Berend