[OS X TeX] Definitive font guide, please?

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at skynet.be
Tue Dec 23 16:23:43 EST 2008

Le 23-déc.-08 à 18:45, David B. Thompson, Ph.D., P.E., D.WRE, CFM a
écrit :

> On Dec 23, 2008, at 09:37, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>
>> I don't know if you know about
>>
>> http://www.tug.dk/FontCatalogue/
>>
>> which shows samples of the fonts and has instructions for their use.
>

> I spent some time there this weekend. When I used their
> instructions for loading Garamond,
>
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[urw-garamond]{mathdesign}
>
> I receive an error when trying to build the output,
> !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file ugmm8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font
> file for reading
>
> ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> After trying a few variations on the theme, I finally gave up.
>
> Any hints? I have a standard (and updated) texlive 2008 install.
>
> -=d

The fonts urw-garamond are not installed in TeX Live 2008 (I don't
know why), and they are necessary here…

However, you may try

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[charter]{mathdesign}

or

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utopia]{mathdesign}

or

\usepackage{fourier}% Loads fontenc option T1 automatically

or

usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{beton, eulervm}

All those should work flawlessly with TeX Live 2008.

As for me, I prefer the Latin Modern fonts (Computer Modern for the
actual modern age):

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}