[OS X TeX] [OT] pdftk on OS X

Daniel Becker daniel.becker at uni-rostock.de
Thu Dec 25 05:20:19 EST 2008

Am 24.12.2008 um 18:01 schrieb Martin Costabel:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Am 24.12.2008 um 12:00 schrieb Daniel Becker:
>>> 1) install fink. Do all the necessary initial updates of fink and
>>> the fink-package list.
>> You mean?
>>    sudo fink selfupdate
>>    sudo fink update-all
>
> You don't need sudo. Fink does this automatically for you.

Yes, I mean those (I think). It took me a while until I could find
pdftk on the list of available packages.

>>> Make sure that unstable packages are incuded
>> On Tiger, Mac OS X 10.4, pdftk 1.41 is also in stable ...

Yes, but I am on Leopard (10.5.6)

>>> 2) I had to update X11 from http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.3.0
>
>> Why? Pdftk is a command line tool, which will work without X11 ...
>
> As you noticed, you need libwmf (windows metafile library) and
> libjasper (jpeg codec) for building pdftk
> <http://www.accesspdf.com/article.php/20041129180128366>
> The Fink packages for both of these libraries depend on X11. Whether
> this is really necessary, I don't know, but at least libwmf links
> with quite a few X11 libraries.

Fink, after my first unsuccessful attempt to install, told me that my
version of the developer tools and my version of X11 do not fit
together and Fink also gave me that url for an update of X11

> Anyway, X11 comes with the system, and if Apple didn't put an
> X11SDK.pkg into several versions of the Leopard developer tools that
> is incompatible with the version of X11 they ship with the system,
> there wouldn't be any problem using X11 for building libraries on
> Leopard. On Tiger, there shouldn't be any.
>
> The huge building block for pdftk is gcc42, which is needed for the
> java compiler.

I see - I must say that I didn't really understand why Fink is doing
what for so long. Good to hear that it makes sense to the experts...

Thanks -

Daniel