[OS X TeX] texdoc in TeX Live 2008

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Mon Dec 29 20:54:45 EST 2008

On Mon 29th Dec, 2008 at 20:27, Victor Ivrii seems to have written:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Thomas Rike <tricycle222 at att.net> wrote:

>>> Actually
>>>
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2008/bin/universal-darwin/texdoc
>>>
>>> is not a real thing but a symlink to
>>>
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2008//texmf/scripts/texlive/texdoc.tlu
>>>
>>> If the latter is present
>>
>> There is no texdoc.tlu script in
>> /usr/local/texlive/2008//texmf/scripts/texlive/
>> Are you saying there is no longer a texdoc  binary file in texlive 2008,
>> only a symbolic link?

NO. There is a symbolic link - /usr/texbin/texdoc - and this points to
a binary - /usr/local/texlive/2008//texmf/scripts/texlive/texdoc.tlu.
So TL 2008 contains a symbolic link (texdoc) but not *only* a symbolic
link. The symbolic link points to the script itself.

As Victor Ivrii points out, the same is true for many other executables
in TeX Live.

> Yes. There are plenty of symlinks, including tlmgr.
>
> Try to list /usr/local/texlive/2008//texmf/scripts/texlive/ - you may
> miss other important things
>

>> Apparently my texlive 2008 is faulty. Is /usr/texbin
>> supposed to have texdoc or a symbolic link in it?
>
> symlink
>
>> Perhaps one of those tlmgr
>> fiascos removing files when I tried it out early on and it got hung up.

Are you saying: this did happen and you ignored the errors (other stuff
seemed to work...)? Or are you saying: maybe this happened and you
didn't notice the errors?

>>  Maybe I should reinstall. Would this new TeX Live Utility possibly help?

I don't think TLU will help in anyway that tlmgr cannot. As I
understand it - and I'm not on Leopard so I haven't seen TLU myself -
TLU is just a front end for _some_ of tlmgr's functionality. So you
might be able to do something with tlmgr which you can't do with TLU
but not vice-versa.