[OS X TeX] texdoc in TeX Live 2008

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at att.net
Mon Dec 29 21:40:45 EST 2008

On Dec 29, 2008, at 5:54 PM, cfrees at imapmail.org wrote:

>>> There is no texdoc.tlu script in
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2008//texmf/scripts/texlive/
>>> Are you saying there is no longer a texdoc  binary file in texlive
>>> 2008,
>>> only a symbolic link?
>
> NO. There is a symbolic link - /usr/texbin/texdoc - and this points to
> a binary - /usr/local/texlive/2008//texmf/scripts/texlive/texdoc.tlu.
> So TL 2008 contains a symbolic link (texdoc) but not *only* a symbolic
> link. The symbolic link points to the script itself.

There is no /usr/texbin/texdoc on my computer and no texmf/scripts/
texlive/texdoc.tlu
Apparently, there should be.

> As Victor Ivrii points out, the same is true for many other
> executables
> in TeX Live.

There is nothing named texdoc there

>>> Perhaps one of those tlmgr
>>> fiascos removing files when I tried it out early on and it got
>>> hung up.
>
> Are you saying: this did happen and you ignored the errors (other
> stuff
> seemed to work...)? Or are you saying: maybe this happened and you
> didn't notice the errors?

It seems the tlmgr process deletes a file and then updates. In the
first few days the connection would disappear after deletion before
updating. At that point I had no idea where anything was located or
what was supposed to be in the new TeX Live 2008, so I just stopped
using tlmgr. I probably lost some files, but have not had any trouble
with any of my work.  I know that some improvement has occurred with
tlmgr, but I just stayed away from it after that first experience.

>>> Maybe I should reinstall. Would this new TeX Live Utility possibly
>>> help?
>
> I don't think TLU will help in anyway that tlmgr cannot. As I
> understand it - and I'm not on Leopard so I haven't seen TLU myself -
> TLU is just a front end for _some_ of tlmgr's functionality. So you
> might be able to do something with tlmgr which you can't do with TLU
> but not vice-versa.

It is beginning to look like I should reinstall. Since an undated
MacTeX was announced today, it may be a good time. Thanks for the help.