[OS X TeX] problems with TikZ examples

Art Werschulz agw at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 09:04:08 EST 2008

Hi.

I am exploring TikZ/PGF, and having some trouble getting some of the
examples in the manual to work.
(BTW, a 560-page manual is a bit daunting.)

I first tried the example developed in Section 2 (Tutorial: A Picture
for Karl's Students).  The TeX file is as follows:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{tikz}

\begin{document}
   ... copy-and-paste of source on page 36 ...
\end{document}

When I ran pdflatex on same, I got the following msg:
   ! Package pgfkeys Error: I do not know the key '/tikz/axes'
     and I am going to ignore it. Perhaps you misspelled it.
I typed "q" in response to same.  Despite the warning, the resulting
PDF file displayed correctly.

I then tried one of the automata in Section 23 (Automata Drawing
Library).  The TeX file is as follows:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{tikz}
\usetikzlibrary{automata}

\begin{document}
   ... copy-and-paste of source on bottom of page 23 ...
\end{document}

When I ran pdflatex on same, I got the following msg:
   ! Package pgfkeys Error: I do not know the key '/tikz/on grid'
   and I am going to ignore it. Perhaps you misspelled it.
Again, I typed "q" in response to same.  This time, the resulting PDF
file was broken.

What am I missing here?

Art Werschulz
207 Stoughton Avenue, Cranford  NJ 07016-2838
(908) 272-1146