[OS X TeX] [ANN] TeX Live Utility 0.4

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnl.gov
Wed Dec 31 13:29:27 EST 2008

On 12/31/08 09:09, "Victor Ivrii" <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 31, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>>
>> Click the "Manage Packages" tab.  The basic features (with screenshots) are
>> described on the web page, also.
>>
>>> 1a) How to list all remote packages which are not installed?
>>
>> See above, and sort the list by "Status."  Note that it's an outline view,
>> with disclosure triangles in the leftmost column.
>
> Does not look very reasonable: Mixed means that executable for darwin
> are installed but for windows not

So do you have a suggestion for improvement?

>>> 1b) How to calculate the number of installed packages?
>>
>> tlmgr list |grep "^i " |wc -l
>>
>> Of course this could be added, but why is it useful?
>
> If tlmgr goes rogue and removes packages it is the easiest way to
> evaluate damage done and, while

In the case you mention, the update list shows you those packages as
"Forcibly removed."  In my testing, I cancelled an update and broke a couple
of installs just to try it out.

If there are cases not handled, let me know.  Number of packages doesn't
sound like a useful way to diagnose this for most users.

> reinstalling collections, evaluate how
> many packages remain

If you're thinking of progress bars, that's on hold until after tlmgr2.

> I would find very handy utility which manages packages installed on in
> texmf-local TDS. At least list them and indicate which are part of tl
>
> (I typed last time something completely opposite, by mistake)

Not something I have time to write, I'm afraid, unless tlmgr does this.

--
Adam