[OS X TeX] includegraphics in xelatex and filenames with spaces

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Feb 4 04:52:45 EST 2008

On 4 Feb 2008, at 9:31 am, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 04.02.2008 um 08:16 schrieb Bernhard Barkow:
>
>> I just tried this example, the interesting thing is that my
>> XeLaTeX seems not to include TIFF files at all (just white space),

TIFF can only work on Mac OS X with the xdv2pdf driver; it is not
supported through xdvipdfmx (on any platform). So the results will
depend which driver you're using.

>> and JPEG files are included, but at a wrong scale (looks like
>> assuming a 300dpi resolution where the image has only 72; in draft
>> mode the bounding box is displayed correctly, I'll have to examine
>> that further).

IIRC, there's an issue in xetex 0.996 (TeX Live release) and the
accompanying xdvipdfmx, where JPEG files are scaled incorrectly if
they have EXIF resolution data (e.g., from many modern cameras)
instead of the older JFIF file format standard. I think this is
corrected in the latest sources.

> The problem with XeTeX is that it can handle much more graphics
> formats (as TeX is able to, because a graphics file is nothing more
> than some reserved spot to be occupied later with whatever).

It depends which platform you're running on. XeTeX on OS X accepts
whatever QuickTime accepts (practically everything!) at the
typesetting stage, but on other platforms it only knows the same
formats as xdvipdfmx.

With the move to xdvipdfmx as default driver (even on OS X), maybe we
should remove the QuickTime-only formats from xetex.def, so that
xelatex won't even try to use those (unless the user does something
to explicitly enable them).

> PdfTeX supports PDF, PNG, and JPEG (no JPEG2000 I think). Dvips is
> restricted to PS and EPS. Dvipdfm supports PS (+ EPS?) and
> METAPOST, as well as PDF, PNG, and JPEG (no JPEG2000, came too
> late). And XeTeX makes it complicated, because xdvipdfmx supports
> PDF, PNG, JPEG (no JPEG2000 I think), and BMP (MS Windows), and
> xdv2pdf accepts most of what Apple's Quicktime accepts: MAC, PICT,
> PSD, SGI, TGA, TIFF, GIF. I see that PNG and JPEG are missing from
> my records ...
>
> I also found that xdvipdfmx handles PNG files different than pdfTeX.

Different in what way? I hadn't heard of that.

JK