[OS X TeX] includegraphics in xelatex and filenames with spaces

Álex Bueno lists+tex+mac at bueno.imap.cc
Mon Feb 4 23:11:50 EST 2008

Thanks very much for all the responses.

On 04 Feb 2008, at 2:16 am, Bernhard Barkow wrote:

> (By the way, I would avoid these spaces anyway, they are never
> really necessary and just keep causing problems, no matter how
> advanced our computing infrastructure gets.)

I had read in the xetex list archives that filenames with spaces
should work. Still, not using spaces is certainly advisable, but in
this case I've been given the task of converting a file to tex, in
which all the images are linked to the file hierarchy. Symlinks would
solve this, but the file has over 100 images, so perhaps there might
be an easier way, I thought. Despite our advanced computing
infrastructure, it really would be nice if spaces stopped being
special characters, along with universally adopting unicode, etc. ...

As for the scale issue, it bothers me that I didn't notice that when I
tested with a png file.

On 04 Feb 2008, at 4:52 am, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> With the move to xdvipdfmx as default driver (even on OS X), maybe
> we should remove the QuickTime-only formats from xetex.def, so that
> xelatex won't even try to use those (unless the user does something
> to explicitly enable them).

Is xdvipdfmx default in 0.996? Or is it supposed to switch to xdv2pdf
if there are tiff files? Just running xelatex file.tex seems to use
xdv2pdf for me.

On 04 Feb 2008, at 5:24 am, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> EXIF vs. JFIF can be a clue! I have a PNG file that is shown in a
> PDF viewer at wrong size that I saved again with a modern version of
> Graphics Convertor that was displayed after pdfTeX or XeTeX/
> xdvipdfmx conversion at same size in the viewer ... Apple's sips
> sees no difference, ImageMagick's identify sees no difference, both
> images don't have EXIF data ...

I get the same scale issue with a png file, bringing up this error:

LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in test me.bb (no
BoundingBox).

But only with a file with a space in the filename.

On 04 Feb 2008, at 5:58 pm, Bernhard Barkow wrote:

> Yes, that seems to be the case! The latest sources still show the
> problem, however. But it can be easily worked around by removing the
> EXIF resolution data, if necessary.
> (As a side note, I experienced the strange phenomenon that with my
> test image GraphicConverter did not recognize the EXIF data although
> exiftool did.)

For me, removing exif data (exiftool -all=) from the tiff file (aside
from IFD0, which seems to be necessary) changes nothing; the .bb text
still appears, but the picture is to proper scale. Doing this to the
png file, does indeed fix the scale issue, but the .bb text remains.
So they seem to be separate issues.

Best,
Alex