[OS X TeX] Problems with Ghostview i-Installer package and a solution

David Abernethy david.abernethy at clear.net.nz
Fri Feb 8 05:24:15 EST 2008

I have been updating my gwTex installation and ran into difficulties
with the Ghostview package.  The installation fails with "Unarchive
stage failed"
I use Mac OS X 10.5 with X installed on a MacBook
The Sub process window shows:
/usr/bin/tar: ./usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults: Cannot open: File exists
/usr/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

It seems the package wants to create a symlink from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/
app-defaults to /etc/X11/app-defaults which contains the GV X settings
I already have a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults file I assume created
as part of the Apple X install.  I renamed it, the GV package install
worked, and I shifted the GV settings file to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-
defaults after deleting the symlink
I report this here because Gerben has announced that these packages
are no longer supported, and there are likely to be others who have
this problem.

David Abernethy