[OS X TeX] TeXShop setup query

Rowland McDonnell rjmmnet-lists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 03:24:56 EST 2008

I've added a couple of new `engine' files for TeXShop.

XermLaTeX:

#!/bin/tcsh

set path= ($path /usr/texbin /usr/local/bin)
xetex  -fmt xermlatex "$1"

and rmLaTeX:

#!/bin/tcsh

set path= ($path /usr/texbin /usr/local/bin)
pdfetex -fmt pdfrmlatex  "$1"

They're quite similar to the `Engine' files I added for TeXShop with
MacTeX 2006.

But this time, when I try to use one of the new engines (I'm trying to
see if my attempt to build new formats has worked, for some functioning
value of `work'), I get a message:

Can't find required tool.

~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/rmLaTeX.engine does not have the executable
bit set.

There is no mention of this issue in the TeXShop documentation that I
can find (it doesn't say much at all about writing new engine files).

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to set the executable bit? (and
maybe tell me what the executable bit might be?)

Rowland.