[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 4, Issue 8

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Feb 11 07:41:24 EST 2008

Le 9 févr. 08 à 10:55, Éric DÉTREZ a écrit :

> Le 8 févr. 08 à 21:00, Bruno Voisin a écrit :
>>

>> Remarks and questions:
>>
>> - OS X Textures (Textures 2.2) is alive <http://www.bluesky.com/news/220b.html
>> . It doesn't have yet all the functionality of Classic Textures
>> (Textures 2.1), but is progressing.
>
> It seems you've tried it.
> Is it worth the money ?
> There is no screenshot nor trial version on the site.
>
> I used Texture before but I didn't upgrade to version 2.1.

Hi (ou plutôt bonjour),

Whether it's worth or not depend on your criteria. A number of things
are still not functional, such as:

- Hyperlinking (the hyperref package).

- Direct use of OS X fonts (ie the fonts appearing in Font Book).

- Search/replace in the Edit window (though I've got an experimental
build with basic Find functionality, which does work).

- Continuous scrolling in the View window.

- Up-to-date LaTeX distribution.

There are also things you might miss if you're accustomed to TeXShop
for example: syntax coloring, LaTeX palette and the like, use of UTF-8
in the editor, maybe other things I'm forgetting. But personally I
consider these things to some extent as dispensable candy (apart from
syntax coloring and UTF-8 input), and I'm glad to be back to the
elegance and simplicity of the Textures GUI.

And above everything there is Flash Mode: I never really used it with
Mac OS 9 and before, before it was so slow and resource-consuming. But
now with OS X and Intel macs it's really a joy to use, the typeset
output appears almost instantaneously in the View window, it feels
almost like WYSIWYG.

Moreover, it's possible to set Textures up so that it uses all or part
of MacTeX's TeXLive tree, and to compile custom formats with it (I've
compiled a format with French hyphenation included). I won't be able
to provide any help on that, sorry, no time.

Regarding screenshots, here's one at <http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.cv/bvoisin/Sites/.Public/Textures-2.2.0b7.png-zip.zip
 > (in case the URL doesn't work, you may try <http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/FileSharing4.html
 > then click on the Download arrow for Textures-2.2.0b7.png). The
included graphics are Mathematica 6 output postprocessed in
Illustrator CS3.

Bruno Voisin