[OS X TeX] The `%!TEX TSprogram = TeXify' line used in TeXShop ...

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:46:08 EST 2008

I was submitting a manuscript to http://arxiv.org/ earlier today. The
files were one main tex file and three eps figures. My main tex file
contained the following two lines at the very beginning:

%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
%!TEX TSprogram = TeXify

All the files passed the submission check and could be processed
without problems. (The system declines the submission if there's any
problems in processing the tex files) But when I tried to view the
generated PDF file, the system kept triggering the remote server and
simply failed to generate it. While I was trying to see where it went
wrong (I thought it's due to figures since I had to compress them a
lot to meet the file size requirement), I got a message from arXiv's
very helpful administrator, saying

"Your main LaTeX source file contained a PostScript %! line, which was
misinterpreted by our AutoTeX engine.  We have removed this line from
your LaTeX file, and your submission now correctly generates a PDF
file."

I also submitted the same paper, with the above two lines, to one
journal of APS (Americal Physical Society) and it went through and
generated PDF without any problem.

Except manually removing the lines, is there any other way to make the
tex file mostly portable? [The answer probably is not ...]

Thanks.

JT