[OS X TeX] The `%!TEX TSprogram = TeXify' line used in TeXShop ...

tkiffe tom at kiffe.com
Wed Feb 13 22:32:34 EST 2008

On Feb 13, 2008, at 4:20 PM, David Watson wrote:

> This is not the first time this issue has come up. It appears that
> their AutoTeX engine uses "file magic" to determine if the file is of
> valid type. Perhaps the arxiv.org maintainers could add a
> %!TEX
> description to their "magic" file (on Mac OS X, at
> /usr/share/file/magic) or perhaps the authors of AutoTeX could edit
> their script to look for that, but then that would require the
> archiv.org people to upgrade.

For decades just %! has been the "magic number" for Postscript files
and Postscript data streams.
Any additional data after the %! simply specifies additional
information about the Postscript code
contained in the file and is not required.

It is TeXshop, with its %!TEX, that is at fault. This is not a "magic
number" used to identify
a type of file. It is a TeXShop hack attempting to pass various
parameters to TeXShop
from source files and is incompatible with the use of magic numbers.

The developers of TeXShop really need to change %!TEX to something
else, %%!TEX has been
suggested on this list. Of course, this would cause backward
compatibility issues for some
TeXShop users. Those affected should not blame anyone but the
developers of TeXShop who
did not consider all of the ramifications of using %!TEX.

TeXShop is not the new gold standard and it is arrogant to suggest that
the
rest of the world should conform to or even recognize TeXShop hacks.

Tom