[OS X TeX] Nested \textbf{\textsc{xyz}}

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Thu Feb 14 02:38:09 EST 2008

On Feb 14, 2008, at 3:51 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>>> Using computer modern you can get a reasonable looking bold small
>>> cap with usepackage{bold-extra}.
>>> \textsc{\textbf{xyz}} should produced what your coworker is
>>> seeking, unless there is a need to really magnify the letters.
>> Does the following produce what you desire?
>> \documentclass[10pt]{article}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \begin{document}
>> \textbf{\textsc{Text in Bold Small Caps}}
>> \end{document}
>> Josh

Hi Josh, hi Herb,

yes, this works. The only difference to my own preamble (where it also
did not work; my coworker had been using Computer Modern) is that I
chose the lmodern package. Apparently, the Latin Modern fonts are also
less complete than CMSuper.

I do not quite remember why, at some point, I chose to switch to Latin
Modern fonts. Can somebody give me a hint to what are their advantages
(one of their disadvantages has become obvious)?

Anyways, problem fixed. Thanks for the suggestion and the explanation.

Dr. Holger Frauenrath
ETH Zurich
Department of Materials
Wolfgang-Pauli-Str. 10, HCI H515