[OS X TeX] The `%!TEX TSprogram = TeXify' line used in TeXShop ...

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 14 09:41:31 EST 2008

Herbert Schulz schreef:

> On Feb 14, 2008, at 7:58 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>

>> Recognizing unicode is possible, recognising 8 bit encodings is not
>> possible, not reliable anyway. For TeX itself you use
>> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}, and it would be good if TeXShop
>> recognizes this.
>
> Not with xe(la)tex; it assumes unicode. Also, what about the upcoming
> luatex?

Agreed, the future will be all unicode. For the time being: 8-bits
encodings will not go away, so that problem remains. And xetex will not
have an inputenc line - but presumably an engine line. Besides, unicode is
easy toe recognise.

I think Luatex will be pure unicode as well, but I'm not sure about that.
We'll know pretty soon: http://www.luatex.org/roadmap.html

Maarten