[OS X TeX] MinionPro Package with LiveTeX

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sun Feb 17 07:03:58 EST 2008

On  17 Feb, 2008, at 03:17, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 17.02.2008 um 00:53 schrieb Matthew Braham:
>
>> I currently have the files in:
>>
>> Users/Matthew/Library/texmf/
>>
>> The map file is MinionPro.map and is currently located in:
>>
>> Users/Matthew/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/MinionPro/
>
> Having installed this package in the personal area makes it a bit
> useless. And this is true only for this particular case where you
> need to enable a MAP file fragment, namely MinionPro.map. Your
> personal setup probably has no useful updmap.cfg file, so when you
> invoke
>
> 	updmap --enable Map=MinionPro.map
>
> TeX would find your MAP file and then see only MinionPro fonts
> mapped to TeX font names (or vice-versa). So its best to first copy
> the system's updmap.cfg into ~/.texlive2007/texmf-config/web2c,
> which first needs to be created:
>
> 	mkdir -p ~/.texlive2007/texmf-config/web2c
>
> Then you could enable the MAP file fragment.
>
> The dirty trick could be to invoke 'sudo updmap --enable
> Map=MinionPro.map' – which will make your private parts owned by
> root, unalterable.

I have all my personally installed fonts (and maps) in ~/Library/
texmf...; I always enable those maps with ``sudo updmap-sys --enable
Map=<font>.map''; the updmap.cfg changed is in /usr/local/texlive/
2007/texmf-config/web2c/ and the log file in ~/.texlive2007/texmf-var/
web2c/, and I didn't have to create that web2c directory (which, by
the way, only has that updmap.log file): it was created in the process.

Maybe the most sensible solution is that proposed by Bruno Voisin,
the one where he advise ``First: don't log in as root''. I only
disagree with him in ``I regret that such actions, which were done in
a perfectly safe and clean way, and with a GUI, by i-Installer...''

For me, MacTeX installer and further personal installations have been
easy and straightforward (I just do what I did with gwTeX), and one
could also mess up things with gwTeX.

And I still wonder ---where is that MnSymbol.map that's working OK?

Best,

Axel