[OS X TeX] Floating table in landscape orientaton results in a half empty page

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Feb 18 23:51:43 EST 2008

Hello Olga,

On 18/02/2008, at 10:16 PM, Olga Lyashevskaya wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I experience difficulties with floating table. This table has a
> landscape orientation and occupies the whole page.  When I refer to
> it, it is placed on a new page immediately after the \ref and there
> are just two words on the current. What is strange is that this
> page is not filled with the text which appears after the  table.
> ---------------------------
> \begin{landscape}
>  \begin{table}[tbp]
>  \centering
>  \setlength{\abovecaptionskip}{0pt}
>   \setlength{\belowcaptionskip}{5pt}
>  \end{table}
>  \end{landscape}

This is very weird-looking coding, and almost certainly
not the way {landscape} was intended to be used.

Is this using  \usepackage{lscape}  ?
If so, then the {landscape} environment is meant to output
a complete page rotated.

You can get rotated material of arbitrary size, including
floats, with coding such as:

\begin{document}
First some words before,

  \begin{table}[h]
  \rotatebox{90}{%
  \begin{minipage}{.7\textheight}
   \centering
   \setlength{\abovecaptionskip}{10pt}
   \setlength{\belowcaptionskip}{5pt}
   \includegraphics[scale=.15]{/Users/rossmoor/Pictures/more-snakes/
PICT7540.JPG}
   \caption{``little person'' a cute little dog; well, not always.}
\label{littledog}
  \end{minipage}}
  \end{table}
then some after.

Then some more words after which refer to Table~\ref{littledog}.

\end{document}

The result is in the attached image.
The {minipage} environment is only needed to ensure that
the caption is rotated along with the contents of the {table}.

Note that the width specified in
    \begin{minipage}{.7\textheight}
becomes (roughly) the height of the rotated {table}.
(This is deliberately larger that the image used here,
resulting in the large margins of white space above
and below it.)