[OS X TeX] pgf/TikZ 2.0

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Fri Feb 22 02:53:29 EST 2008

To those of you who have used pgf/TikZ from TeXLive (or those who
might want to try it),  let me tell you that the impressive version
2.0 is out:

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pgf/

The no less impressive manual

http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/pgf/base/doc/generic/pgf/
pgfmanual.pdf

with its 560 pages might seem intimidating at first, but I assure you
that it is a pleasure to read, and the tutorials do not lack amusement:

> In this third tutorial we have a look at how TikZ can be used to
> draw geometric constructions.
>     Euclid is currently quite busy writing his new book series,
> whose working title is “Elements” (Euclid is not quite sure whether
> this title will convey the message of the series to future
> generations correctly, but he intends to change the title before it
> goes to the publisher). Up to know, he wrote down his text and
> graphics on papyrus, but his publisher suddenly insists that he
> must submit in electronic form. Euclid tries to argue with the
> publisher that electronics will only be discovered thousands of
> years later, but the publisher informs him that the use of amber is
> no longer cutting edge technology and Euclid will just have to keep
> up with modern tools.
>    Slightly disgruntled, Euclid starts converting his papyrus
> entitled “Book I, Proposition I” to an amber version.

If you typeset the Manual yourselves, you'll see the title page
changing with each LaTeX run.

Best,

Axel