[OS X TeX] Imposing Latex on authors of articles

Daniel Culver danielculver at mac.com
Tue Feb 26 11:17:37 EST 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 6:58 AM, ludwik kowalski wrote:

> Mental energy of users of mathematics should be used on mathematics
> itself, not on nitty-gritty rules, commands, and error messages. By
> learning Latex language one does not become a better mathematician,
> physicist or engineer.

I insisted my kids start learning LaTex at about fifteen years of
age. My seventeen year old fought back hard, then accepted, and now
insist on LaTex. When he was fifteen he didn't look forward to
college and only vaguely thought of architecture or violin. After
seeing the quality of his work improve and the subsequent acceptance
by his teachers and then his peers he only worked harder. He is now
Valedictorian and looking forward to acceptance at a good Physics
program. LaTex didn't cause this, BUT, it helped him on his way.
How many times have you skimmed a document because it was boring, OR
was it just difficult to read; presentation is everything, otherwise
fashion magazines would be produced with MS Word!
Dan

Daniel Culver
silverpit at rapidcable.com
danielculver at mac.com

"if we don't teach our kids to read, how will they know what's on."
Peter Griffin