[OS X TeX] TeXmacs

Andrei Sobolevskii ansobol at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 08:37:07 EST 2008

On 2/26/08, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I just looked at the TeXmacs web site and I like what I see.  However,
>  I am concerned that the project might be abandoned or at least not
>  actively developed.
>
>  I hope I am wrong.  Any comment?

Good news: it seems you are wrong :)  TeXmacs has moderately active
lists for users and developers (a few messages daily).  For their
statistics see

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.editors.texmacs.user
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.editors.texmacs.devel

You can subscribe to these lists by going to this page, which also
gives contact details for the developers:

http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/contact/contact.en.html

Unfortunately I do not use TeXmacs myself, although after having a
look at messages at TeXmacs-users it seems like I'm thus missing quite
a few interesting features.  Be warned however that TeXmacs is neither
TeX nor LaTeX but a typesetting system of its own kind.  The web site
says that converters to TeX/LaTeX are available.

Here is what TeXmacs' main developer, Joris van der Hoeven, replied
when I forwarded to him your email:

> Thank you for reporting this to me; I tend to avoid TeX mailing
> lists myself, in order to avoid unnecessary polemics ;^)
> In any case, TeXmacs is still under development ;
> we are actually working on a native Aqua version.

This of course is an understandable attitude, although the TeX on MAC
OS X mailing list in particular seems quite free of unnecessary
polemics.

Hope this helps,
Andrei