[OS X TeX] TeXmacs

Andrei Sobolevskii ansobol at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 08:37:07 EST 2008

On 2/26/08, Salvatore Enrico Indiogine <hindiogine at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I just looked at the TeXmacs web site and I like what I see.  However,
>  I am concerned that the project might be abandoned or at least not
>  actively developed.
>  I hope I am wrong.  Any comment?

Good news: it seems you are wrong :)  TeXmacs has moderately active
lists for users and developers (a few messages daily).  For their
statistics see

You can subscribe to these lists by going to this page, which also
gives contact details for the developers:

Unfortunately I do not use TeXmacs myself, although after having a
look at messages at TeXmacs-users it seems like I'm thus missing quite
a few interesting features.  Be warned however that TeXmacs is neither
TeX nor LaTeX but a typesetting system of its own kind.  The web site
says that converters to TeX/LaTeX are available.

Here is what TeXmacs' main developer, Joris van der Hoeven, replied
when I forwarded to him your email:

> Thank you for reporting this to me; I tend to avoid TeX mailing
> lists myself, in order to avoid unnecessary polemics ;^)
> In any case, TeXmacs is still under development ;
> we are actually working on a native Aqua version.

This of course is an understandable attitude, although the TeX on MAC
OS X mailing list in particular seems quite free of unnecessary

Hope this helps,