[OS X TeX] xdvi under Tiger

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Wed Jan 9 10:12:19 EST 2008

Peter Dyballa schrieb:

>> Thanks für explaining. I've run your script and it's created
>> .MacOSX/environment.plist in my home directory. Is there anything else
>> I have to add to evironment.plist now?
>
> Nothing more is necessary.

Yes. You have to re-start OS X, of course, ar at least you have to log
out and log in again, as it says here:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Mac/Environment 8-) That's all. Now starting xdvi
works from within Apple's terminal.

> You can set/use AUCTeX in any Emacs. You have also the option to use
> texdoc as *the* viewer for everything TeX related. Just prepare a local
> copy (only this one will survive a "TeX update") in ~/bin with the
> appropriate applications for the file formats used, and you're done. You
> can also extend X11's Applications menu. And you have the option to use
> PDF viewers (as integrated into TeXShop for example) for DVI output,
> too. Most of them quietly convert DVI to PDF before displaying anything.

Thanks again, Pete. It all works fine now. Configuring AUCTeX will be
the next step. Although I like TeXShop for small tasks such as writing
letters I would like to stay with Emacs in general. So I prefer the
usual X11 appliations. Nice to have xdvi for working now. 8-)

Regards,
Jürgen.