[OS X TeX] Utopia Fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 19 06:13:00 EST 2008

Am 19.01.2008 um 09:28 schrieb Holger Frauenrath:

> - What kind of font packages (I mean, which format) would I
> actually have to buy?

LaTeX works best with PostScript Type 1 fonts – and these are also
the basis for the Fourier package. BTW, which glyphs will you find
that are not yet provided by Fourier? It has 16 accompanying PS Type
1 fonts ...

> - What do I have to do in order to install them for LaTeX (are
> there more detailed instructions somewhere)?

Create via AFM files the necessary TFM and VF files, FD files too,
and also MAP file fragment(s). Then update the MAP files and the ls-R
"hash" file(s). Here is a description: http://homepage.mac.com/
bkerstetter/tex/fonttutorial-current.html. You can also read Philipp
Lehman's “Font Installation Guide” (texdoc fontinstallationguide) and/
or the fontinst manual (texdoc fontinst, texdoc intro98, texdoc et99-
font-tables, texdoc et99-font-tutorial).

> - Do I understand correctly that, when I buy these fonts, I would
> also be able to use them in other word processors (such as Pages)?

I don't think so. Mac OS X is not really supporting PostScript Type 1
fonts. When they come wrapped into an OpenType (OTF) format, then
they will be useful.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Der Bezug einer Zeitung oder der Kauf eines Buches gibt niemand das
Recht, an die Verfasserinnen von Artikeln oder Büchern dreiste Briefe
zu schreiben.
                                             (Friedrich Sieburg)